Tuesday, January 29, 2019

MICHAEL

MICHAEL

How quickly time has passed since my last post.
Many things have happened, but I feel the need to get back to 
sharing with you some of the things that I have learned.

On October 10 we experienced the worst hurricane
to ever impact our area.   

Hurricane Michael was the third-most intense Atlantic hurricane
to make landfall  in the contiguous United States in terms of pressure,
 the fourth-strongest land falling hurricane in the
contiguous United States in terms of wind speed
and it was the strongest storm on record in the Florida Panhandle.
Wikipedia

It was powerful, surprising and destructive … and
 there will never be another Hurricane Michael   
The Guardian

Since I live about 60 miles inland, storms normally 
start to die before they hit our area.  But...
As I heard the reports that it was becoming stronger and that there 
would be a curfew imposed in the early morning, 
I was urged by my children to leave home for a safer place.  
My son lives farther inland near the Alabama line and 
he wanted me to come there.  
I quickly packed my things and loaded up 
my dog and kitten and left.

I asked the Lord to give me some promise 
to take with me through the storm.
He gave me...

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: 
not as the world giveth, give I unto you. 
Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 
John 14:27

The storm only put down two smaller trees and some limbs 
at my son's home, but there were trees down 
everywhere in the neighborhood.

The next day we headed back to see how my house 
had fared.  You had to hunt for a road with even one lane 
clear enough to drive through.  
The eye of the storm passed through between my town 
and another just east of here.

As we approached my house I wondered what I would see
since it is an older frame house.
As we topped the rise the first thing I saw was
most of my trees were down, some broken off and 
some (including my big oak) up by the roots.  

But then I saw my house!
It looked like nothing had happened.  
The house looked like it did when I left.

Then we went inside.  A narrow strip of shingles 
on the roof in the back was gone.
Inside, there was wet, soggy insulation 
all over the kitchen floor, several inches deep.
About 1/3 of the ceiling in the kitchen was on the floor.
The rest of the house only had 
a few water spots on the ceiling.
There was only water on the tile floor, 
none on the carpet!

I had a little damage outside, but nothing major.
While some are still waiting for adjusters to assess 
their damage or receive repairs, 
my home is done except for a
little painting of the ceiling.

I am blessed!

I only told you all of this to show you how God has blessed me.
There are so many others who have suffered immensely.
Don't forget to pray for them.
The city of Mexico Beach on the coast was wiped out.
Panama City suffered great damage.  
Other cities along the coast were devastated.

The wonderful thing is that there was minimal loss of life.

I am blessed!

It is three and a half months since the storm and 
the clean up has only begun.

There is no way to say the total devastation of the landscape.
We had so many trees and did not realize how blessed we were.
They are gone.  
I heard that 75% of the trees are damaged or gone.
I never understood why people would say they were confused
after some of the storms, but I do now.
Nothing looks like our area.
The landmarks are gone.

We have also been having many rainy days and 
a few bad thunderstorms since then.  
the water is not being absorbed because of the loss of vegetation.

Through all of this the Lord has shown me some lessons
that I will share with you in future blogs 
since this one has become so long.

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; 
for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; 
yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Isaiah 41:10




A big thank you to all of my faithful followers.
I appreciate you for sticking with me.







8 comments:

  1. Love you lots dear dear sis and praise God He had me praying here and others praying elsewhere for covereing for you and your family. Truly it is of the LORD mercies we are not consumed great is thy faithfulness!
    Hugs Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your prayers and our friendship. You have been a great support and blessing to me. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Looking back we can see God's mercies and His control over our lives. When we are going through that trial of testing, we may not see so clearly though! How such times can bring us closer to God and by our witness draw others unto Him as well. Let us not forget what has past but recount and tell of God's mercies, to strengthen and encourage all who are willing to listen! You remain in our thoughts and prayers dear Marilyn.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know what happened to my reply to this. Anne, you are such a blessing to me. God knows all about all our problems and has the answer ready even before we ask Him. Tell Daniel hi and that I am praying for him and your family. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Dear Marilyn~It was such a joy to see you in my in box!!
    You have certainly been on my mind and in my heart and it's good to know that you are well and okay.
    My...I was so thankful to hear that you listened to your family and went to your son's home for safety. That would have been quite the experience should you have stayed home alone.
    The Lord is good and He takes care of His own, what a praise!
    It is in times like these that God works in such mighty ways drawing people to Himself.
    Continuing to pray for you and for others.

    God bless you ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading your posts, but I have been so overloaded that I have not been able to respond much lately. I so appreciate your remembering me in your prayers. God blesses me through the faithful prayers of my internet friends. Hope that you are back to 100% and enjoying yourself by your fireplace. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Marilyn I love your blog. Thank you for the post. I left you a message on your f.b. page because I couldn't post it anywhere else for safety reasons. Sending you hugs, Cathy K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand and appreciate it. Glad that you are being such a blessing to others. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete